KARACHI: President Asif Ali Zardari has advised the Sindh government to increase the limit of land allotment — from 16 acres to 25 acres — for landless farmers, and directed that priority be given to female farmers in the programme, according to the APP news agency.
The directive came at a meeting to review progress in the distribution of state land among landless farmers under the ‘Women’s Emancipation Programme’.
Briefing the media on the meeting, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said 45,000 acres of land had already been distributed among poor and landless farmers since the programme was launched in November last year. He said 70 percent of those who had been allotted land were women, and the same ratio would persist.
Briefing the media on the meeting, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said around 45,000 acres of barren land would be distributed among 4,196 farmers.
He said that all these landowners could acquire fertilisers and seeds through Benazir cards, to be issued in the name of female members of families.
About a meeting between the president and a Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) delegation, Kaira said the future of the local government system would be decided in consultation with the government’s coalition partners, including the MQM.
The minister said the local government system was a provincial subject, and provincial administrations had to decide about its future.
Kaira said the president had local government powers until December 25, and “these are being shifted to provinces”.
Kaira said Zardari also presided over a meeting on low-cost housing schemes in Sindh.
About a trial for former president Pervez Musharraf, he said the government would follow court orders.
Zardari also announced a development package for Lyari.
Source: Daily Times