Close this search box.


Close this search box.

Two girls killed over ‘honour’ in Hazara

HARIPUR: Two girls were allegedly killed over honour in separate incidents in Hazara, police said on Saturday.

Shamshad, a resident of Bir village, was suspicious of his 18-year-old sister Azra’s behaviour and on Friday night caught her speaking to someone on her cell phone. In a fit of anger, Shamshad opened fire at Azra with a 30-bore pistol, killing her on the spot, while he managed to flee, the police report stated.

The other incident was reported from Shagaye in Torghar district where residents spotted the body of a girl believed to be in her teens. According to the police, the culprit tied the girl with a rope and then threw her into the river.

The body was recovered and shifted to a basic health unit where doctors confirmed the deceased had been killed two months before her body washed up on the river banks.

The victim’s identity could not be ascertained till this report was filed. The police said a similar case surfaced two weeks earlier when the body of another murdered girl was found at the bank of the river.

Cops arrested for harassment

Two policemen were arrested for allegedly harassing a transgender and snatching money from her, police said.

Quoting District Shemale Association President Saima, police said she was at home on Friday evening when an elite force personnel contacted her on her cell phone and asked to meet at Panian Chowk.
When Saima reached the spot, she said two police constables, Waqas alias Vicky and Zubair, sexually harassed her. When she cried for help, the accused snatched Rs2,000 from her and fled.

She said the policemen had told her the DSP had instructed them to take action against transvestites in the city. Saima said the policemen also told her they were taking the money to fill fuel in their motorbike and have dinner.

Seething at the attitude of the police, Saima contacted the complaint cell of the provincial police chief, who promptly asked the Hazara DIG to take stern action against the culprits.

The two constables were subsequently arrested and put in a lock-up, but no FIR was registered against them.

Saima claimed the police was pressuring her to withdraw her complaint, but added she would continue to fight for her rights.

Express Tribune