By : Mudassir Raja
ATTOCK / RAWALPINDI: Two more women out of six who were brought to Rawalpindi from Attock on August 2 after allegedly attempting suicide have died, taking the total death toll to five.
Holy Family Hospital confirmed that 21-year-old Sana died at about 9:30pm and 14-year-old Nadia died at around 10:30pm on Wednesday while under treatment at the hospital. The hospital confirmed the deaths on Thursday morning.
The lone survivor was released from hospital on August 3.
The six women of varying ages had allegedly consumed insecticide pellets as part of a bet or a dare after one of them claimed they were harmless, sources said.
A doctor who attended the girls told The Express Tribune that the girls were in critical condition when they were brought to HFH from Attock.
The girls were initially taken to DHQ Hospital after being brought from Attock, but were shifted to HFH after three of them died.
The women and girls, all related, are from a family of travelling musicians who usually perform at weddings, said a relative of the deceased.
Meanwhile, conflicting reports from the Attock police suggest that man named Saqlain has been arrested in relation to the deaths, even though District Police Officer Zahid Marwat previously said that the deaths were due to “illiteracy”, as the victims did not know insecticide could kill people as well.