Close this search box.


Close this search box.

Husband, two others get life term for killing woman

KARACHI: A sessions court handed down life imprisonment to three accused in a murder case on Thursday.

Shamsul Haq and his relatives Jaffar Alam and Nelofar were found guilty of killing his wife, Rabia, over a domestic dispute in May 2006 within the remit of the Baghdadi police station.

Additional district and sessions judge (south) Shahid Hussain Chandio, who conducted the trial, ruled that the prosecution had successfully proved the guilt of the accused persons by producing ample evidence in the court.

All witnesses have supported the case of the prosecution and the same was corroborated by the documentary evidence, including the dying statement of the victim, according to the judgment.

The prosecution stated that Shamsul Haq with the help of his relatives set his wife on fire after pouring kerosene on her on May 2, 2006. The victim was shifted to a hospital, where she died a day later.

A case (FIR 190/2006) was registered against the accused under Section 302 (punishment for premeditated murder) and 34 (common intention) of the Pakistan Penal Code on a complaint of a relative of the deceased.

All the accused, who had been granted bail, were present in the court. Following the pronouncement of the order, they were taken into custody and remanded to prison with conviction warrants to serve out the awarded sentence.

Drug peddler sentenced to life

A drug peddler being tried in a drug trafficking case was sentenced to life imprisonment by an anti-narcotics court on Thursday.

The court found Yar Mohammad guilty of carrying 15 kilograms of hashish within the remit of the Steel Town police station in June last year.

The judge of the special court for control of narcotic substances-II, Sanaullah Khan Ghory, who conducted the trial, pronounced the judgment after recording evidence of witnesses and the final arguments from both sides.

The court also imposed a fine of Rs500,000, and the convict would have to undergo an additional three years’ imprisonment in case of non-payment of the fine.

According to the verdict, the testimonies of the investigating officer and other prosecution witnesses about the arrest of the accused and recovery of hashish from him were tangible and trustworthy and fully inconsonance with each other.

The accused had simply pleaded innocence while denying all charges, but then he failed to produce any evidence for a rebuttal in the face of the confidence-inspiring evidence furnished by the prosecution which was also supported by the chemical analysis report and documentary proof.

The court further observed in its verdict that no material contradiction was found in the statements of the witnesses and the accused has also not alleged any grudge with the witnesses for false implication in the present case.

According to the prosecution, the area police intercepted a car during routine patrolling on June 16, 2011. A search of the vehicle by the police resulted in their finding 12 packets of hashish weighing 15 kilos. The man in the driving seat was
apprehended and identified as Yar Mohammad.

A case (205/11) was registered under Section 9-C of CNS Act, 1997 at the Steel Town police station.

The jail authorities produced the accused before the court and again took him in remand after the pronouncement of the order
by the judge with the conviction warrant to serve the remainder of his sentence.