Close this search box.


Close this search box.

Hearing of Mazar gang-rape case deferred till 7th

KARACHI, June 30: Additional district and sessions judge-IV (East) Aftab Ahmed Bughio on Monday deferred till July 7 the indictment of three suspects in a gang-rape case. The victim, an 18-year-old woman, was allegedly subjected to criminal assault at the Quaid’s mausoleum on March 15 and was found in an unstable condition at a place near the Mazar vicinity on March 17.

The woman and her family members were on a visit to the Mazar when she was allegedly abducted during power breakdown and subjected to gang-rape, according to the charge-sheet.

The proceedings were put off as the investigation officer of the case could not submit the required police file with the court. The case (FIR No.50/08) was registered at Brigade police station on the complaint of her father.

An assistant manager of the mausoleum’s security staff was arrested on March 20 as a suspect and an accountant and the PA to the resident engineer of the mausoleum’s management board were booked on April 24 following the receipt of a DNA report confirming their involvement. The suspects were, later, remanded in jail custody.

14th notice

Judicial magistrate (Central) Sohail Ahmed on Monday issued 14th show-cause notice to the investigation officer via the DIG (investigation) directing him to personally submit the charge-sheet of the March 21 police firing case in which two motorcyclist were injured and one of them later succumbed to his injuries.

The IO has failed to comply with the earlier 13 show-cause notices issued to him directly as well as through his superiors over the past three months. He has been asked to submit the charge-sheet by July 11.

Three constables, Mohammad Imran, Arif Hussain and Salman Farsi, are accused of having fired at Zubair Khan and Mohammad Saquib near Shakhi Hassan, North Nazimabad. Zubair had later succumbed to his injuries.

The case (FIR No.164/08) was registered at the Taimuria police station.

Kidnap for ransom case

The Anti-Terrorism Court-V headed by Haq Nawaz Baloch on Monday recorded statement of the investigation officer of a kidnapping-for-ransom case and adjourned the hearing till July 7.

Defence counsel Mushtaq Ahmed also cross-examined the IO, Inspector Yousuf Baloch.

The case pertains to the kidnapping of Noreen and her friend, Badal Mashi, from University Road on Dec 19, 2007 allegedly by Nadeem-ul-Haq, Attaullah Shah, Amir Hussain, Mehmood Bilal, Mohammad Rafiq and Mohammad Rashid. The complainants claim that their kidnappers had initially demanded Rs0.5 million as ransom but agreed to accept Rs50,000. However, they were nabbed after a shootout with police during the course of the transaction.

The case (FIR No.112/07) was registered at the CID police station.

Nishtar Park bombing case

The same court put off the hearing of Nishtar Park bomb blast case till July 26 due to shortage of time. As many as 54 people, including the top leadership of the Sunni Tehrik and several prominent activists of the Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal (MMA) were killed in the blast, stated to be a suicide attack, at the city’s major Eid Milad congregation on April 11, 2006. Another 120 people were wounded.

The case (FIR No.171/06) was registered at the Soldier Bazaar police station.

Boy’s murder case

Additional district & sessions judge (Central) Nelofer Shahnawaz on Monday recorded statement of Mohammad Younus, who is facing charges of killing a 14-year-old boy, Mohammad Ghiyas, in Liaquatabad after an exchange of hot words with him. The court fixed July 10 as the next date of hearing.

The case (FIR No.84/01) was registered at the Super Market police station.
Source: Dawn