Close this search box.


Close this search box.

DI Khan honour killing case: Police scratch their heads over dead couple’s nameless toddler

KARACHI: A woman, who was shot and injured by her younger son in an honour killing case two days ago, died Tuesday at Jinnah hospital. Police are looking for her three other children and want to send her fourth one, a two-year-old, to an Edhi center.

Three unidentified men attacked Khateeja alias Toti Jan and her new husband Waris Khan in their new house in Gulshan-e-Bunnair in Quaidabad police limits on March 11. Waris Khan died on the spot while Toti Jan was injured as she was shot twice – in the neck and abdomen.

Initially, she had told some neighbors that her son Sufi Khan and two of her nephews had attacked them. However, she lost consciousness at the hospital. The police were unable to record her statement.

The investigations police learnt that the couple hailed from Gollai, a village in Dera Ismail Khan. After the death of Toti’s first husband, she left her in-laws and moved to her parents’ house.

Later, she got married a second time, to Waris, but without the permission or consent of her son and other family members. She left DI Khan and moved to Karachi with her four younger children and new husband just three or four days before the incident.

Police believe that Sufi hunted his mother down in Karachi and killed her. The investigations police said that the family was not familiar with the new neighborhood and neighbours said that all they knew about them was that the children were seen selling milk a few days ago.

A resident told the police that when the incident occurred only Toti’s two-year-old son was at home. Her three other children, including a 12-year-old girl, had gone to collect milk from Cattle Colony. Police are searching for the missing children.

After the incident, a local shopkeeper took Toti’s toddler in and said that he would care for the child until its relatives came from DI Khan. However, the police said that when they contacted Toti’s family in DI Khan they refused to collect the body. They reportedly said that they had no links with her as she had left them.

IO Zulfiqar Ali Bajwa told Daily Times that now the shopkeeper does not want to be responsible for the toddler. Bajwa said that they are going to put the child with a charity but they don’t even know its name. “I usually face difficulties dealing with revenge killings, especially when Pakhtoon families are involved,” Bajwa said, adding that last year when he was posted at Sukhan police station, he had dealt with a similar case in which a man named Arshad slaughtered his wife Bushra and six-month-old son Gulfam. After the incident, he contacted the woman’s family in Peshawar. They registered an FIR and received the bodies but no one from the family was interested in pursuing the case or recording a statement.

Source: Daily Times