Close this search box.


Close this search box.

Crimes against women: Two women shot dead in honour killings

FAISALABAD: Two sisters were shot dead after one of them married a man out of their baradari, Kandiwal police said on Sunday.

Kandiwal Station House Officer (SHO) told The Express Tribune that Mahjabeen*, a resident of Thatha Sargana, had married Babar of the same area a year ago. He said her uncle Liaquat Ali was unhappy with the marriage.

“Ali called a panchayat where Mahjabeen was asked her to take a divorce from Babar,” the SHO said. He said that when she and her sister Sehar* had reached home after the panchayat, Riaz Ahmad, a son of Liaquat, opened fired at them. The two sisters died instantly.

Zaman Khan, a neighbour, told The Express Tribune that Liaquat and Riaz wanted to grab property of the two sisters. He said Liaquat had also tried to marry Riaz off with Mahjabeen but she refused. “He later asked Sehar to marry his son but she also turned down the proposal,” Khan said. The SHO said police had sent the bodies to the Lalian tehsil headquarters (THQ) hospital for postmortem. “We are now waiting for a medical report,” he said. He said they had arrested Riaz.

Protest against police inaction

Scores of residents of Chak 215-RB staged a protest demonstration on Sunday against Jaranwala Saddar police for not registering a rape case. Holding banners and placards, the protesters staged a sit-in at Zila Council Chowk.

Talking to the media, Mughlan Bibi said that her younger sister Sidra*, who is deaf and dumb, was sexually assaulted allegedly by two neighbours about four months ago. She said the family had recently learnt that about it. She said during a recent medical examination, doctors had discovered that Sidra* was pregnant. She said the family had reported the matter to Jaranwala Saddar police but they did not take any action.

Mughlan Bibi said Sidra* had gone missing from outside their house some four months ago. She said she was later found lying unconscious in the street. She said Sidra had been unable to tell about her plight. “I suspect that she was kidnapped and sexually assaulted by two men in the neighbhourhood,” she said.

The protesters also blocked the University Road for traffic. They dispersed however when Iqbal Town SP Shehzad Nadeem and his team arrived there and assured that action would be taken on their complaint.

The Express Tribune