Karachi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the DIG Sukkur to recover a seven-year-old girl who has been missing from Dadu since July 12.The apex court was hearing an application filed by one Saleem regarding the disappearance of his daughter, Sakina.
DIG Sukkur Range Dr Amir Sheikh along with other police officials appeared and submitted that the father of the missing girl accused his five relatives of kidnapping his daughter one month after the incident, but no evidence was found against the accused and an investigation was continuing.
He said residents of the area from where the girl had disappeared were of the view that girl might have drowned in a canal as there had been a dust storm on the day she went missing. A two-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, directed the DIG to make efforts for the recovery of the girl.
The bench expressed displeasure at the production of the accused in shackles in the courtroom by police, and directed the DIG to take action against the police officer responsible for that illegal act. The bench also asked why the accused were detained if no evidence was found against them. The police officials sought more time for the recovery of the girl. The court, granting one week, directed the police to produce the girl at the next hearing.
The DIG later informed the journalist that a police officer with the rank of ASP had been appointed head of the investigation team and efforts were being made to find the girl.
The same Supreme Court bench also directed the additional advocate general (AAG) to ensure the appearance of the competent authority under whose directives the seniority of an assistant engineer in the irrigation department had been recalled.
Assistant Executive Engineer Habibullah Memon has assailed the recalling of his seniority by the government twice and sought implementation of a service tribunal order for his seniority.
His counsel Abdul Mujeeb Pirzada submitted that his client was promoted to Grade 17 in 1992 and given seniority by the chief secretary, but due to intervention of officers posted through direct appointments, his seniority had been recalled.
He said the service tribunal also ordered that the seniority of the appellant be restored, but to no avail.
The bench, adjourning the matter for Tuesday, directed the additional advocate general to ensure the appearance of the competent authority with the relevant record regarding the seniority of the petitioner.
The Sindh High Court on Monday directed the SHO Shah Faisal Colony to recover and produce a person who has been missing since July 18.
Petitioner Nasreen Fatima submitted that her son Syed Azhar Hussain was picked up by personnel of some agency from her house on July 18 and his whereabouts were still unknown.
A division bench, headed by Justice Shahid Anwar Bajwa, issued a notice to the advocate general, the IGP and others for September 3, and directed the SHO Shah Faisal Colony to recover and produce the petitioner’s son at next hearing.
Man indicted in murder case
Anti-terrorism court on Monday indicted a man in a double murder case.
Mohammad Raheem alias Mota along with other absconding co-accused was charged with killing two people and injuring eight others in Sher Pao Colony on August 18, 2011.
According to the prosecution, the defendant along with absconding co-accused Javed Liaquatabad wala, Abdul Aziz, Imran, Kashif and Saboor killed Mohammad Qasim and Mohammad Raheem and injured eight others. The defendant however denied the charges.
After the indictment of the accused, Judge Bashir Ahmed Khoso directed the special public prosecutor to produce prosecution witnesses to prove the guilt of the accused.