QUETTA,January 11,2005:The provincial cabinet has decided to conduct an impartial inquiry into the lady doctor’s assaultcase through a judge of the Balochistan High Court while police have lodged an FIR of the incident on the directives of the cabinet.
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Jam Mohammad Yousuf here on Monday. The meeting reviewed the overall law and order situation, all aspects of the lady doctor case and recent happenings in Sui.
The cabinet condemned the rape case and described it as against Islam, human rights and traditions of Balochistan. It expressed sympathies with the lady doctor and appealed to the people of Sui to remain calm and not to take law into their hands as government would fulfil all demands of justice and bring the culprits to book.
“All elements involved in the inhuman act would be exposed and punished according to the law,” the cabinet decided. The cabinet was of the view that the reaction against the sad incident was natural but firing and rocket launching were not correct ways to express sentiments as these were resulting in deaths and injuries of the innocent people, besides causing huge financial losses.
The cabinet said: “People and all political forces should play their due role in making government efforts successful for improving the situation and maintaining law and order.”
However, the cabinet deplored that the situation in Sui was made complicated by not brining the facts before the people. The government was aware about its responsibilities regarding the protection of life and property of the people and it would fulfil its obligations in this regard.
The cabinet was briefed on the incident regarding the lady doctor and the reaction to it. The meeting was also informed that the federal government had ordered the ministry of defence to conduct a probe into the tragic incident.
It was further informed that the statement of the affected lady doctor had been recorded but she refused to lodge an FIR or take any other action till the return of her husband from abroad. However, an FIR has been registered in the Sui police station in view of her statement.
The chief minister informed the cabinet about his talks with PML President Chaudhry Shujjat Hussain, party’s Secretary General Senator Mushahid Hussain Syed and other ‘important’ people about the incident. Meanwhile, the provincial cabinet decided to set up a relief fund for Tsunami victims.
INVESTIGATION: The Balochistan Inspector-General of Police, Chaudhry Mohammad Yaqoob, told a press conference on Monday that an impartial investigation would be conducted into the lady doctor assault case and people found involved in the inhuman act would be punished.
He said the police had obtained the statement of the affected lady doctor in which she had said that between the night of Jan 1 and 2 a man barged into her house and, on gunpoint, ordered her to hand over all things.
He hit her head with a pistol butt. According to the IGP, she said that she fell unconscious and after that she did not know what happened to her. He said the lady doctor also said that till the return of her husband from abroad she would not lodge any FIR.
However, the IG said, he had ordered the Sibi range DIG and Sibi SSP to conduct investigation into the assault case. “We will not spare any person found involved in this inhuman act,” he added.